Jesús was born in Sevilla and spent all his years as a student in a small town called Camas. He studied Chemistry at University of Sevilla and moved to the University of Manchester to work under the guidance of Prof. John D. Sutherland (MPhil, 2008). Back to Spain he joined the group of Prof. Ernesto Carmona to work on fundamental organometallic chemistry obtaining an International PhD Distinction (2012) after spending a visiting stay with Prof. Maurice Brookhart (University of North Carolina, USA, 2010). He returned to the USA as a postdoctoral researcher joining the group of Prof. Robert H. Crabtree at Yale University to work in green catalysis and energy-related transformations (2013-2014). He was awarded with a Talentia Postdoc Fellowship for a second postdoctoral period in the laboratories of Prof. Simon Aldridge at University of Oxford to focus on bond activation and catalysis with main group systems (2014-2016). In 2016 he moved back to the University of Sevilla after securing a Marie Curie IF fellowship and one year later he was awarded with a permanent position as Research Scientist of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) to develop his independent career at the Institute of Chemical Research (IIQ) at Sevilla.
2017: Permanent Scientist, Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
- Fellow of the Spanish Young Academy, 2020.
- Thieme Chemistry Journals Award, 2019.
- Young Researcher Award from the Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry, 2017.
- University and Innovation Young Sevilla Award, 2017.
- Young Researcher Prize from Real Maestranza de Caballería de Sevilla, 2017.
- BBVA Foundation for Researchers and Cultural Creators, 2016.
- Premio Joven a la Cultura Científica, 2015, Sevilla City Council.
- Universidad de Sevilla PhD Extraordinary Prize, 2015.
- Best PhD Thesis Award, Real Sociedad Española de Química (RSEQ, Spain), 2014.
- X Premio a la Investigación Javier Benjumea Puigcerver, 2013 (shared with Prof. Ernesto Carmona). Focus-Abengoa Foundation and Universidad de Sevilla.
- International PhD Distinction, 2012. Universidad de Sevilla.
- Chemistry Degree First National Award, 2008. Spanish Education and Science Ministry.
- Real Maestranza de Caballería Award in Chemistry, 2008.
- Best Academic Record Sevilla City Council Prize (Chemistry), 2008.
- Universidad de Sevilla Extraordinary Prize (Chemistry), 2007.
Competitive Fellowships and Projects
- R&D Project. Andalusian Regional Government, 2020.
- “Knowledge Generation” R&D Project. Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, 2020.
- Green Chemistry research grant. PhosAgro/UNESCO/IUPAC, 2020.
- Explora Ciencia. Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities, 2018.
- ERC Starting Grant. European Research Council, 2017.
- Marie Curie Individual Fellowship. Universidad de Sevilla, 2016.
- Talentia Postdoct. Postdoctoral Fellowship Marie Curie-COFUND. University of Oxford (16 months) and Universidad de Sevilla (8 months).
- FPU Outgoing Research Grant, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2011.
- FPU Graduate Student Fellowship. Spanish Education Ministry, 2009.